A strong, sculpted jawline can make all the difference when it comes to your facial profile.
But as you age, the skin under your chin and along your jawline naturally loses elasticity. Genetics, diet, hormones, and other factors can all contribute to stubborn fatty deposits along the chin, jawline and neck.
If you’re bothered by sagging or excess fat under the chin and jaw — sometimes referred to as “jowls” — you’re definitely not alone. Many people wish they could have a more defined, contoured appearance in this area.
The good news is, you don’t have to live with insecurities about your “turkey neck” or “jowly” jaw. There are effective options for resolving this issue.
What is Chin and Jowl Liposuction?
One of the most popular and effective treatments for eliminating a double chin and sculpting the jawline is liposuction.
At our practice led by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Darren M. Smith, we specialize in procedures like chin and jowl liposuction to help people look their very best.
How Does the Chin and Jowl Liposuction Procedure Work?
The chin and jowl liposuction procedure is performed either under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia, based on your needs and preferences. Dr. Smith will discuss which option is best for you.
Small incisions of less than 1 cm each are made either inside the mouth or discreetly under the chin. A diluted local anesthetic solution is infiltrated into the treatment areas to minimize bleeding and discomfort.
Using a thin tube called a micro-cannula, unwanted fat deposits under the skin will be systematically broken down and suctioned out. The fibrous connections in this area are also disrupted to allow for smoother results.
The treatment areas are precisely contoured to achieve the desired aesthetic goals. Detailed attention is given to creating a well-defined jawline and eliminating submental fullness.
Once the targeted fat has been removed, the incisions are carefully closed with dissolvable sutures. A compression garment is worn to control swelling. Bruising and swelling are temporary and subside within 1-2 weeks.
Benefits of Chin and Jowl Liposuction
Can chin liposuction help eliminate jowls?
Yes, chin liposuction is highly effective for reducing jowls. Jowls form as skin loses elasticity with age. The skin along the jawline sags, while excess fat accumulates in this area.
Chin liposuction directly removes the excess fat to restore definition along the jawline and upper neck. Although it does not tighten loose skin, the removal of fat helps reduce the sagging appearance.
Does chin liposuction also tighten the skin?
While chin liposuction removes excess fat very effectively, it does not directly address loose skin. However, patients often still see an improvement in skin tone, especially when the procedure is performed on younger patients with good elasticity.
The removal of excess fat allows the remaining skin to retract and conform more smoothly to the newly contoured facial structure. But significant wrinkling or loose, crepey skin along the neck and jawline will require additional surgical skin tightening. Options include:
- Neck lift (platysmaplasty) – This tightens neck muscle and redrapes sagging skin through small incisions under the chin.
- Lower facelift – This smooths jowls and tightens the jawline by repositioning deeper facial tissues, addressing the cheeks and neck.
- Laser skin resurfacing – Using fractional CO2 laser or another modality, laser resurfacing stimulates collagen remodeling to smooth and tighten skin.
Comparison to Other Fat Reduction Procedures
|Permanently removes fat cells; contours precisely in one treatment
|No skin tightening; surgical risks
|Little downtime, no surgery
|Gradual fat reduction over multiple treatments; mild skin tightening
|Non-invasive fat reduction; some skin tightening
|Multiple treatments needed for moderate improvements
|Nonsurgical; dissolves fat over time
|Significant swelling/numbness; modest improvements
|Ultrasound (UltraShape, etc.)
|Non-invasive fat cell disruption; no anesthesia
|Gradual results over 3-6 treatments
Finding a Chin Liposuction Provider
Where can I find a reputable provider for chin and jaw liposuction near me?
If you are considering chin and jaw liposuction, choosing an experienced, reputable surgeon like Dr. Darren Smith is key to safe, beautiful results. Beware of medi-spas or facilities offering huge discounts on this specialized procedure.
Dr. Smith is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has performed thousands of successful liposuction procedures over the years. He stays current on the latest techniques and technologies to ensure patients get natural-looking results.
We encourage you to visit our office for an in-depth consultation and 3D imaging to help you visualize your results. Dr. Smith will frankly assess your options and only recommend chin liposuction if he believes it can significantly enhance your appearance.
Preparing for Chin Liposuction
How do I prepare for a chin and jowl liposuction procedure?
Preparing properly for chin and jowl liposuction is crucial. Be sure to:
- Get medical clearance from your GP beforehand
- Discontinue blood thinners, NSAIDs and supplements that prolong bleeding for 1-2 weeks pre-op
- Arrange a ride home and someone to monitor you for the first 24 hours
- Stock up on soft, nutritious foods to eat while recovering
- Fill any prescriptions Dr. Smith provides ahead of time
- Refrain from smoking for a minimum of 3 weeks before and after surgery
- Take Arnica tablets as directed starting 3 days before your procedure
- Rest well and hydrate thoroughly in the days leading up to your surgery
Following all Dr. Smith’s pre-op instructions carefully allows for the smoothest, safest surgical experience and recovery.
Recovery Process and Expectations
What is the recovery process like for chin and jaw liposuction?
You can expect:
- Discomfort, managed with medication – Improves each day
- Swelling and bruising under the chin – Peaks in 3-5 days, resolves in 1-2 weeks
- Numbness in the skin – Lasts several weeks as nerves regenerate
- Wearing a compression garment – For 2-4 weeks to control swelling
- Minimal activity for a few days – Followed by light activity after 1 week
- Returning to work in 5-7 days – Strenuous activity in 2-3 weeks
Most patients feel well enough to return to desk work or other light activities within a week. Strenuous exercise and any lifting, bending or straining should be avoided for 2-3 weeks.
What should I expect during the recovery period after chin and jaw liposuction?
The first week of recovery after chin liposuction involves:
- Resting quietly at home
- Using cold compresses to relieve swelling
- Taking prescribed pain relievers as needed
- Keeping your head elevated, including when sleeping
- Eating a soft, cool diet
- Avoiding contaminants and sun exposure
- Washing your face gently with mild cleanser
- Applying ointment to incisions for the first 5 days
- Wearing your compression garment around the clock
*Keep all follow-up appointments with Dr. Smith so he can monitor your progress. Avoid smoking or consuming alcohol, which impedes healing. Within 2 weeks you can ease back into normal activities.
How long does a chin liposuction procedure typically take?
The surgery itself takes 1-2 hours depending on the extent of treatment needed. You will arrive an hour before your procedure to get checked in, change clothes, and go over any last minute questions.
Plan on spending 3-4 hours at our office from your arrival time until you are discharged to go home and rest. Having an escort drive you home is required.
Most patients need to take 5-7 days off work, avoiding strenuous activity for 2-3 weeks. Your customized recovery timeline will be discussed at your consultation.
We hope this overview has provided you with a clear understanding of how chin and jowl liposuction works to sculpt a more youthful, contoured jawline. Dr. Darren Smith is a trusted expert in facial rejuvenation who can help you determine if this treatment is right for your aesthetic goals.