Pregnancy, weight loss, or the natural aging process can leave you with loose excess skin on your abdomen and a protruding tummy. A tummy tuck in New York is a surgical procedure to remove excess skin and fat, as well as tighten and strengthen the abdominal muscles. This procedure is often performed as a part of a “mommy makeover” to give a woman back her body after pregnancy and childbirth.
What is a tummy tuck?
A tummy tuck (“abdominoplasty”) is the most powerful procedure available to flatten and tone your abdomen. As a premier board-certified plastic surgeon in New York City, Darren M. Smith, MD, can help you achieve the midsection of your dreams. To learn more about modern tummy tuck procedures, book a consultation. Either click on the online scheduling feature to book or call the clinic.
What happens during tummy tuck surgery?
A tummy tuck, medically known as an abdominoplasty, involves toning and sculpting your midsection. The procedure is entirely tailored to your needs and desired outcome. Tummy tuck surgery, performed under general anesthesia, may include:
- Removing excess fat (liposuction)
- Correcting separated muscles
- Removing excess or loose skin
Tummy tucks most frequently involve a combination of the above. This procedure is ideal for flattening your stomach, strengthening your abdominal wall, and smoothing out a muffin top. The end result is a more toned, defined midsection, and of course, a dramatic boost in confidence.
Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck?
A tummy tuck in New York is beneficial for women and men who want to enhance the appearance of their abdomen, especially if they have stubborn bulges from separated abdominal muscles (common after pregnancy, called “diastasis recti” or “rectus diastasis”) or fat deposits that don’t improve with diet and exercise. Tummy tuck surgery might be right for you if you:
- Are in good overall health
- Are close to your goal weight
- Are finished having children
- Have excess fat or loose skin
- Have a separation between your abdominal muscles (rectus diastasis)
What can I expect in my consultation?
During your consultation, Dr. Smith and his specialized team will work with you to explore your desired outcomes. Dr. Smith will also evaluate your health to ensure a tummy tuck is a safe and appropriate procedure for you. He is a conservative surgeon who will not simply jump into surgery, and instead takes the time to assess the correct approach and build a real doctor-patient relationship with you.
How do I get started?
To get started on a path to a more slender you, schedule a New York tummy tuck evaluation at the practice of Darren M. Smith, MD. Book online or over the phone.
What is recovery like after a tummy tuck?
- Patients with office jobs can generally expect to return to work in two weeks after a tummy tuck in NYC.
- While you will be walking immediately after the procedure, you will be doing so while bent at the waist so as not to stress your incision.
- For the first week, other than easy short walks, your activity should be very light.
- During the second week, you will begin to walk more upright, and your activity level will return to a relaxed normal (unhurried walks, light chores, and meals out are fine).
- Between four and six weeks post-op, depending on the patient and the procedure performed, full activity at the gym is again permitted.