- Purpose: A thigh lift by Dr. Darren Smith is a plastic surgery procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the inner or outer thighs, or both.
- Anesthesia: Your thigh lift surgery may be performed under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation.
What is a thigh lift?
A thigh lift is cosmetic surgery to remove excess skin and fat from the outer and/or inner thighs. It is often recommended after substantial weight loss, or when excess tissue in the upper thighs will not respond to diet and exercise. A thigh lift may also be performed as part of a “mommy makeover” procedure and may be performed in combination with liposuction to recontour the upper thighs.
Why choose our practice?
Dr. Smith’s training and experience are what set him apart from other surgeons. He is a board-certified plastic surgeon and is one of the surgeons in the nation to have completed fellowships in both aesthetic plastic surgery and craniofacial surgery.
When it comes to his patients’ needs, Dr. Darren Smith is a conservative surgeon. He does not simply jump into surgery but takes all the time he needs to assess the correct approach and build a genuine doctor-patient relationship with you.
You can expect a high level of service at the practice of Dr. Smith. We provide a comfortable, friendly environment, advanced safety protocols, and personalized postoperative care, along with exceptional results.
What can I expect with a thigh lift procedure?
Your thigh lift surgery may be performed under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation. Incision patterns vary, depending on the degree of correction needed and the areas being treated. Deep sutures within underlying tissues are used to help form and support new thigh contours. Skin sutures are used to close incisions.
Inner thigh lift incisions
In a minimal incision inner thigh lift (for patients with less severe skin laxity) incisions are placed only in the groin area. Another technique places an incision along the inseam through which excess skin is removed from the groin down to the knee. One thigh lift surgical technique involves incisions in the groin that extend downward and wrap around the back of the thigh.
Outer thigh lift incisions
To improve the contours of the outer thigh, incisions may be placed extending from the groin around the hip and across the back. Using advanced techniques, Dr. Smith places incisions in strategic locations where they may be hidden by swimsuits and clothing.
What is recovery like after a thigh lift?
- You can expect to experience swelling and bruising around the incision sites after a thigh lift. Some pain and discomfort, which can be managed with medications, is common during the first week after surgery.
- Dr. Smith may place drains in your incision sites to help drain off fluids and reduce swelling.
- You may be fitted with a compression garment to protect your incisions and provide support for your body as it heals. You will need to wear this garment for several weeks, as instructed by Dr. Smith.
- As the incisions are in the thigh area, they are subject to pulling and tension when you sit, stand, walk, or bend. For this reason, it is important to restrict your activities during the first two weeks after surgery.
- You may be asked to wear compression stockings and be given exercises to perform that will not cause tension in the thigh area to help reduce the risk of blood clots.
What is better for me: a thigh lift or thigh liposuction?
Liposuction is a powerful technique for removing stubborn, excess fat and can
significantly improve the shape of your thighs. It will not, however, treat loose skin. If significant skin laxity is present, loose skin must be directly excised to achieve a smooth thigh contour – this is where a thigh lift comes in. Additionally, liposuction is often performed as part of a thigh lift. Dr. Smith will work with you at your consultation to determine the best approach for your specific needs.
Can I go home the day of surgery?
Yes. When you recover from the anesthesia, you will be able to go home the same day. You will need someone with you to drive you home and take care of you for a few days after the procedure. Because of where the incisions are placed, driving should be avoided until you are cleared by Dr. Smith after your thigh lift.
When will I see the results after a thigh lift?
You will see a significant improvement in your body’s shape immediately after surgery. It can take from 3-6 months to see the final result as your swelling resolves and your tissues heal.