Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation NYC
There are many reasons why a woman may have smaller breasts than she would like. Some of the more common causes of hypomastia (small breasts) are: genetics, loss of breast volume with age and loss of breast volume with weight loss. Regardless of the cause, many women have achieved their desired breast size thanks to significant advancements in cosmetic surgery. While many women opt for breast implants, other NYC women have gone for a natural breast enhancement alternative: fat transfer to the breasts.
Related Content: How Much Does a Breast Augmentation Cost?
What is Fat Transfer?
An autologous fat transfer is a cosmetic surgery to move fat from one part of a patient’s body to another. It aims to remove unwanted fat from a specific area, like the thighs or tummy, and
use it to increase the size of other areas, such as the buttocks or breasts.
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that aims to enlarge, change the shape of, or improve the texture of a woman’s breast. The standard techniques used include fat grafting and breast implants, or a combination of the two
What is Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation?
Fat transfer breast augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that uses liposuction to withdraw fat cells from some body areas and inject them into your breasts. The body area from which the fat cells are harvested is referred to as the donor site, which is usually your flanks and abdomen.
An increasing number of women today are opting for fat transfer to the breast. These are mostly patients who desire natural-looking breasts after a breast enhancement procedure. Also, women who desire a modest increase in breast volume and want to avoid the maintenance associated with implants often choose fat transfer as their preferred method.
Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Procedure Consultation
Before anything else, schedule a consultation with a Dr. Darren Smith, a top board-certified plastic surgeon in New York City. During this consultation, you and Dr. Smith will get to know one another, you will discuss your goals, and Dr. Smith will help you decide whether you are the right candidate for breast augmentation using fat transfer. Dr. Smith will also used advanced 3D imaging equipment to simulate possible results that you can expect. This process is also very helpful in helping you communicate your ideal breast size and shape to Dr. Smith.
Who is an Ideal Candidate for Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation?
Dr. Smith will ask you for your medical history and information regarding alcohol or tobacco use. Dr. Smith will also conduct a physical examination of your breasts, breast skin, thighs, flanks, and other potential donor areas.
This will help them determine if;
- You have extra fatty tissue on your body- For plastic surgeons to successfully conduct breast augmentation with fat transfer, patients must have enough fat at their donor sites. This will be clear from your consultation with Dr. Smith.
- You are close to your ideal weight and in good health.
- You do not smoke - Smoking increases fat loss and will have a negative impact on the final results.
- We can meet your expectations- Fat transfer to the breasts usually results in a real breast volume increase, however the volume attainable with fat transfer is generally less than we can achieve with breast implants.
How Should You Choose the Right Surgeon for Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation?
The right surgeon will be board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, be expert in fat transfer, and make you feel safe and comfortable. He or she will listen to your concerns, provide clear answers to your questions, and help alleviate your fears. There are also other things you can do to ensure that you are under the best possible care.
- Ask about their medical background and academic qualifications.
- Check whether they are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Although there are other “boards,” this is the only board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties that can legitimatley certify a plastic surgeon.. The American Board of Cosmetic surgery is NOT recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties as a legitimate certifying body.
- Confirm whether they have a good reputation in the NYC medical community.
- Ask them about their experience level and comfort with the procedure.
- Talk to other New York City patients.. A good physician is likely to have many happy patients who speak highly of him or her. Please feel free to check our recommendations here.
Once you are satisfied with the surgeon and have decided to go forward with him or her, you can schedule the procedure. The doctor will then take pre-operative photographs which will help in planning for your surgery and are useful for before and after comparisons.
You may also have another consultation for more planning and filling in the necessary paperwork. Your surgeon may also advise you to discontinue certain medications and stop smoking for four weeks before and after the surgery for the best results.
Before the procedure is performed, the operating team marks your breasts and donor sites. Fat grafting breast augmentation is performed under general anesthesia and takes ½- 2 hours to complete. During the grafting procedure, fat is harvested via liposuction from the donor sites and collected in a sterile container where excess fluid is removed. The surgeon will then transfer fat into your breasts via small, well-hidden incisions at the base of the breasts.
After breast fat transfer, the patient should;
- Avoid wearing tight bras or undergarments on the breasts
- Wear compression garments on the harvest areas for as long as the doctor recommends
- Avoid sleeping on one’s stomach for about six weeks after the procedure.
The results of breast augmentation with fat grafting will take three to six months to be fully visible. Nonetheless, you should be able to return to work within a few days after the surgery.
Since breast augmentation with fat transfer uses natural fat cells, and most of the graft (about 70% in most cases) will attach to the patient’s blood supply in the breasts, the results will be permanent.. However,while the fat cells that do survive will last for the long term, a touch-up procedure is sometimes performed 6-12 months after the initial procedure to account for fat cells that did not “take” in the first place.
Advantages of Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation
- There is minimal scarring
- It results in breasts that look and feel natural
- Rapid recoveryIt is a “two-in-one” procedure- it will make your breasts bigger and remove excess fat from other parts of your body, slimming your figure.
What is the Cost of Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation?
Fat transfer breast augmentation is an advanced, highly-specialized technique. Pricing will vary depending on the size and complexity of each case. $8,000-$10,000 is a reasonable expectation for the cost of this procedure, but will vary by geography, surgeon’s qualifications, and other factors. Please get in touch so we can provide you with a better estimate for your specific situation.
Post-operative care instructions
You can generally expect to return to your office 48-72 hours after fat grafting to the breasts. We will ask you to refrain from exercise for 2 weeks, and gradually ramp back up to your full activity level 2 - 4 weeks after the procedure. Smoking is strictly prohibited for 4 weeks after the procedure as it will interfere with graft take. More information will be given on a patient-specific basis.