A chemical peel is a customized treatment in which a chemical solution is applied to the face, neck, hands, or other area where the skin is showing the signs of damage such as fine lines, wrinkles, or pigment changes. The chemical solution causes the upper layer of skin to exfoliate and peel away, revealing fresh, youthful, more supple skin beneath.
A chemical peel that matches your skin type: It matters.
When considering a chemical peel, you want to ensure that your treatment is performed by a highly-skilled medical professional, as your skin is unique to you. The right formula must be applied to your skin, based upon your skin type, goals of the treatment, and medical history. You can be confident that Dr. Smith will fully evaluate your skin condition to select the most effective chemical peel solution – for you.
What can a chemical peel do for my skin?
Your facial skin is constantly exposed to the elements, and over time, begins to show the signs. A custom chemical peel can significantly improve a wide range of skin issues, including:
- Acne scars
- Age spots
- Crow’s feet
- Sun spots, freckles
- Lax skin
- Wrinkles, lines
- Aging skin
- Sun-damaged skin
Types of chemical peels
Three general types of chemical peels are available for skin rejuvenation, including:
- Light peel: A mild acid (alpha-hydroxy) peel can be applied, which is geared to penetrate just the outer layer of your skin for a gentle exfoliation. Mild skin pigmentation problems can be reduced, with skin feeling and looking smooth, refreshed, and restored. Many of our patients choose to undergo a mild chemical peel regularly to keep their skin looking its best.
- Medium peel: A medium peel is a stronger formula that penetrates more deeply into the skin layers, removing damaged cells. This chemical peel formula is appropriate for those who suffer from age spots, fine lines, wrinkles, freckles or other types of skin discolorations. A medium peel will leave your skin feeling soft and supple, and looking refreshed and glowing, once healed.
- Deep peel: This treatment is more aggressive, and appropriate for those with more serious skin aging issues. It treats deeper wrinkles and lines and smooths scars. A deep peel treatment requires a longer recovery time, and many patients choose to undergo a less aggressive chemical peel more frequently to achieve a similar result.
What is the chemical peel experience?
If you are considering a chemical peel, the first step is a full evaluation of your skin type, and the problems you want to address. Once the correct formula for you is chosen, the treatment can begin. The experience should be relaxing and comfortable, and Dr. Darren Smith is committed to providing a superior patient experience at his private, luxury practice in Manhattan. The process goes through the following steps:
- A thorough cleansing of your skin.
- The peel solution is carefully applied.
- You will experience a “tingling” sensation.
- The peel solution is removed, or another layer applied.
- Corrective custom serums are applied to nourish and heal skin.
- Peeling and flaking appears in a day or two.
- Peeling ends, and fresh, supple skin is revealed.
For a light peel, your skin should look and feel healthy and glowing within a few hours to a few days depending on the specifics of the procedure. For a medium chemical peel, plan on a week, with more time before the pinkness or redness fully disappears. For a deep chemical peel, you will require longer, and must keep your skin protected from the sun’s rays. Plan on taking a week or two off from important social engagements if you have had a more extensive chemical peel.
Why choose Dr. Darren Smith for a chemical peel treatment?
Dr. Darren Smith is among the most acclaimed board-certified plastic surgeons in the country. His qualifications are truly extraordinary, and you can trust in his meticulous approach to skin rejuvenation with chemical peels.
- Dr. Smith is known for achieving superlative results.
- Dr. Smith is trained beyond most practitioners in his area and has completed a craniofacial fellowship and an aesthetic surgery fellowship.
- Dr. Smith is conservative in his approach to aesthetics and his patients’ needs.
For beautiful results that are exceptionally aesthetic, fresh, and natural, visit Dr. Smith’s Manhattan clinic for a private consultation.