Forest Hills is a charming residential neighborhood located in the central portion of Queens, New York City.
It is surrounded by Corona to the north, Rego Park and Glendale to the west, Forest Park to the south, Kew Gardens to the southeast, and Flushing Meadows–Corona Park to the east.
The neighborhood is known for its Tudor-style houses, tree-lined streets, and its proximity to the West Side Tennis Club, which hosted the U.S. Open from 1915 through 1977. Forest Hills is also home to many restaurants, bars, and shops, particularly along Austin Street, the area’s main commercial street.
Forest Hills NY Population
According to the United States Census Bureau, the population of Forest Hills was 86,364 as of 2020. The neighborhood is diverse, with a mix of ethnicities and cultures. The demographic data is as follows:
|Hispanic or Latino||12.8%|
|Black or African American||4.9%|
|Two or more races||2.5%|
Forest Hills NY History
Originally part of a district called Whitepot, which was settled about 1652, Forest Hills was named for its location on wooded heights in about 1910. The neighborhood was developed as a planned community in the early 20th century, with the aim of creating a suburban oasis within the city. The area’s Tudor-style houses were built in the 1920s and 1930s, and many of them have been preserved to this day.
Quality of Life: Forest Hills is a safe and family-friendly neighborhood with a high quality of life. The area is known for its excellent schools, including P.S. 101, which has been recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School. The neighborhood also has many parks and green spaces, including Forest Park, which offers hiking trails, sports fields, and a golf course.
Healthcare in Forest Hills NY
Forest Hills is home to several major hospitals, including:
- NewYork-Presbyterian Queens: This hospital is a member of the NewYork-Presbyterian healthcare system and offers a wide range of medical services, including emergency care, cancer treatment, and women’s health services.
- Northwell Health Forest Hills Hospital: This hospital is part of the Northwell Health system and offers a range of medical services, including emergency care, surgery, and rehabilitation.
- Mount Sinai Queens: This hospital is part of the Mount Sinai Health System and offers a range of medical services, including emergency care, cancer treatment, and women’s health services.
Shopping and Dining
Forest Hills is known for its many restaurants, bars, and shops, particularly along Austin Street, the area’s main commercial street. Some of the most popular restaurants in the neighborhood include:
- Jade Eatery & Lounge: This restaurant offers a fusion of Asian and Latin American cuisine, as well as a full bar and live music.
- Nick’s Pizza: This pizzeria is known for its thin-crust pizza and classic Italian dishes.
- Martha’s Country Bakery: This bakery offers a wide range of baked goods, including cakes, pastries, and breads.
Beauty and Wellness Trends in Forest Hills, NY
Forest Hills, NY is a vibrant neighborhood in Queens that offers a variety of beauty and wellness services to cater to the needs of its residents.
From skincare treatments to hair services, there are several trends and establishments that are worth exploring. One notable establishment near Forest Hills is Darren Smith MD, which offers a range of services to enhance beauty and well-being.
Darren Smith MD is a renowned medical spa located in Manhattan, NY that provides advanced cosmetic treatments. Led by Dr. Darren Smith, a board-certified plastic surgeon, the clinic offers personalized and innovative solutions to help clients achieve their aesthetic goals. Some of the services offered by Darren Smith MD include:
- Botox and Fillers
- Laser Treatments
- Body Contouring
- Skin Rejuvenation
- Facial Rejuvenation
Forest Hills is well-connected to the rest of New York City via public transportation. The neighborhood is served by several subway lines, including the E, F, M, and R trains, as well as several bus routes. The Long Island Rail Road also has a station in Forest Hills, providing easy access to Long Island and other parts of New York State.
Education: Forest Hills is home to several excellent schools, including P.S. 101, which has been recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School. The neighborhood is also home to several private schools, including The Kew-Forest School, a co-educational independent school for students in grades K-12.
Points of Interest
Forest Hills has many points of interest, including:
- West Side Tennis Club: This historic tennis club hosted the U.S. Open from 1915 through 1977 and still offers grass courts for its members.
- Forest Park: This park offers hiking trails, sports fields, and a golf course.
- Austin Street: This is the area’s main commercial street, with many restaurants, bars, and shops.
- The Kew-Forest School: This co-educational independent school for students in grades K-12 is located in Forest Hills.
- The Unisphere: This iconic sculpture is located in nearby Flushing Meadows–Corona Park and was built for the 1964 World’s Fair.
- Queens Museum: This museum is located in nearby Flushing Meadows–Corona Park and features exhibits on the history and culture of Queens.
Frequently Asked Questions About Forest Hills
What is Forest Hills, NY?
Forest Hills is a neighborhood located in the borough of Queens, New York City
What are some notable features of Forest Hills, NY?
Forest Hills is known for its tree-lined streets, beautiful parks, and diverse community. It is home to the historic Forest Hills Stadium, which hosts concerts and sporting events.
What is the history of Forest Hills, NY?
Forest Hills was originally developed as a planned community in the early 20th century. It was designed to be a suburban oasis with Tudor-style homes and green spaces. Over the years, it has become a vibrant and sought-after neighborhood in Queens
What are the demographics of Forest Hills, NY?
Forest Hills is a diverse neighborhood with a mix of different ethnicities and cultures. It has a large Jewish population and is also home to many immigrants from various countries.
What are the schools like in Forest Hills, NY?
Forest Hills has several public and private schools, including Forest Hills High School and Benjamin Cardozo High School. These schools have a reputation for academic excellence.
What are the transportation options in Forest Hills, NY?
Forest Hills is well-connected to the rest of New York City through various transportation options. It has multiple subway and bus lines, making it easy to commute to other parts of the city.
What are the recreational activities in Forest Hills, NY?
Forest Hills offers a range of recreational activities for residents and visitors. It has several parks, including Forest Park and Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, where people can enjoy outdoor activities such as walking, jogging, and picnicking
Are there shopping and dining options in Forest Hills, NY?
Forest Hills has a vibrant commercial district with a wide range of shops, restaurants, and cafes. Austin Street is a popular shopping destination, offering a mix of local boutiques and national retailers
What are the housing options in Forest Hills, NY?
Forest Hills offers a mix of housing options, including single-family homes, apartment buildings, and co-op complexes. The neighborhood is known for its beautiful Tudor-style houses and well-maintained residential streets
What are some nearby attractions to Forest Hills, NY?
Forest Hills is located near several popular attractions in Queens, including the Queens Museum, the New York Hall of Science, and the Queens Botanical Garden. It is also a short distance away from Manhattan, allowing easy access to all the attractions the city has to offer.