About Dr. Smith
Board certified plastic surgeon Darren M. Smith, MD is one of New York’s premier experts in aesthetic surgery and cosmetic injectable treatments. Dr. Smith is one of the only plastic surgeons in the nation to have completed fellowships and received extensive sub-specialty training in both aesthetic surgery and craniofacial surgery. This training enables him to provide the most optimized surgical results for his valued patients at his Upper East Side, Manhattan-based practice.
Dr. Smith’s Education and Training at a Glance:
- Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship
- Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Craniofacial Surgery Fellowship
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Plastic Surgery Residency
- Brown University, Medical School Degree
- Brown University, Undergraduate Degree
- Horace Mann School, Elementary and High School
Additional Memberships and Accomplishments
- Authorship of over 200 peer-reviewed publications, presentations and book chapters
- US Patent: “Predicting Movement of Soft Tissue of the Face in Response to Movement of Underlying Bone”
- International Congress on Cleft Lip/Palate and Related Craniofacial Anomalies Owen Cole Memorial Scholarship
- Numerous grants from the Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, the Cleft Palate Foundation, the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, and the International Congress on Cleft Lip/Palate and Related Craniofacial Anomalies
- Technical Copy Editor of the six-volume Neligan Plastic Surgery text
Dr. Smith attended the Horace Mann School in Riverdale prior to receiving both his undergraduate and medical degrees from Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. He then completed then went through residency training at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, which is one of the nation’s top hospitals for plastic surgery. During his residency, Dr. Smith was selected by his peers to serve as the administrative chief resident in the department of plastic surgery. He then received immediate acceptance into a specialized craniofacial surgery fellowship at the world-renowned Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Ontario. Dr. Smith then completed one of the top aesthetic surgery fellowships in the world at the Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital in New York City.
Over the course of his training, Dr. Smith had the opportunity to dedicate three years to basic science research in plastic surgery realizing advances in such fields as 3D bioprinting, virtual reality surgical planning, and adult stem-cell based therapies. This work resulted in hundreds of publications, book chapters, and presentations as well as the issuance of a US patent. Dr. Smith has also been the recipient of multiple awards and honors. He has served as the principal investigator for numerous grants funded by the Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, the Cleft Palate Foundation, the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, and other organizations.
Dr. Smith is dedicated to remaining at the forefront of advanced aesthetics, applying the most cutting-edge technologies and techniques to his practice. He blends these techniques with a caring and comforting bedside manner broady praised by those whom he is privileged to care for. Dr. Smith welcomes new patients to the practice.